Feb 11th 2019




MINISTER OF NATIONAL MOBILIZATION DESCRIBES 2019 BUDGET AS ONE WITH A FOUNDATION FOR GROWTH AND JOBS


Minister of National Mobilisation and Social Development Hon Frederick Stephenson says that the 2019 budget is an excellent one for these times and described it as one with a foundation of growth and jobs.


The minister made the point while contributing to the debate in Parliament last week. He indicated that overall the budget is designed to improve and enhance the lives of the citizens of SVG. Minister Stephenson spoke to the improved level of healthcare services offered here especially with the Georgetown Modern Medical Complex.


Mr. Stephenson further pointed to the efforts made by this country’s government to provide cheaper and cleaner electricity to Vincentians. 


FINANCE MINISTER CHIDES OPPOSITION LEADER FOR SOME COMMENTS ON 2019 BUDGET


Minister of Finance Hon Camillo Gonsalves has chided opposition leader Hon Godwin Friday for some of the comments made about the 2019 budget.  In his wrap up presentation Gonsalves dismissed Mr. Fridays’ comments that the budget ‘had nothing new and was merely old wine in new bottles’, when he listed a number of new initiatives that were reflected in the budget.


Minister Gonsalves further dismissed the doom and gloom portrayed by the opposition leader with regards to the successes made in the tourism sector.


MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT TO HOST SIGNING CEREMONY FOR KFAED FINANCED PROJECTS 


The Ministry of Transport, Works, Urban Development, Local Government and Postal Services would tomorrow host a contract signing ceremony of two projects.   A release from the Ministry says that the two projects are Construction of The National Agricultural and Feeder Roads Project and the Feasibility Studies and Preliminary Designs for the Rehabilitation of the North Windward Coast Road Project.


The projects are financed by The Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development (KFAED). They are being rolled out from this year, 2019, and is expected to significantly contribute to the improvement of many critical secondary and feeder roads across St. Vincent. The ceremony will take place at Cabinet Room tomorrow at 2:00 pm.


TOURISM MINISTER LAUDS THE EXCELLENT WORK OF THE NATIONAL PARKS RIVERS AND BEACHES AUTH


The National Parks Rivers and Beaches Authority has been lauded for the excellent work that it has done in the development of this country. 


Minister of Tourism Hon Cecil Mc Kie in his contribution to the budget debate in Parliament last week indicated that the authority plays an outstanding role in the development of role of the country with regards to the management of the tourists’ sites that has seen marked improvement in relation to visitors to these sites.  The Minister said that the good work by the authority will continue in 2019 and beyond.


GOVERNMENT OF JAPAN PROVIDES GRANT OF US$4M TO SVG


The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Commerce has informed that the Government of Japan has provided a grant of approximately US$4 million for the provision of equipment and other aid for small and medium sized enterprise development. 


The Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment, the National Emergency Management Office (NEMO), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Coast Guard, the Royal Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force under the Ministry of National Security, Air and Sea Port Development; and the Buildings, Roads and Bridges Authority (BRAGSA) under the Ministry of Transport, Works, Urban Development and Local Government benefited under the said grant.


A handing over ceremony for the grant aid is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 13th February 2019 during the visit of His Excellency Tatsuo Hirayama, Ambassador of Japan to Saint Vincent and the Grenadines at the National Emergency Management Office grounds at 1:00 p.m.


The close and cooperative relationship between Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and the Government of Japan will continue to grow as we collaborate and foster unity for the development of our nations.


VINCENTIAN POPULATION INVITED TO RAISE THEIR VOICES TO ASK THE US GOVERNMENT TO CEASE ACTIONS AGAINST VENEZUELA


The Embassy of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines has issued an invitation for the entire Vincentian population to raise their voices to ask the Government of the United States to cease its interventionist actions against Venezuela.


In this regard, at the Embassy in Kingstown from Monday, February 11th to Friday, February 15th, 2019 from 9 am. to 3 pm a book will be available for the collection of signatures in support of the letter that the constitutional president of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela addressed to the people of the United States of America so that the constant aggressions against the Venezuelan people from the Government of Trump will cease.


According to a release form the embassy it is necessary to emphasize that the people of Venezuela have been victims of a series of sanctions undertaken by the United States Government directed at the main source of income of the country, the oil industry, sanctions that have affected the purchase of food and medicine due to the closure and blockade of accounts and purchases, which seek to aggravate the economic situation of the population of Venezuela, provoke internal conflict and encourage military intervention.


The people of Venezuela are counting on the people of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines so that with their signature they show their support for peace, respect for sovereignty and the right to non-interference, the Caribbean is an area of peace.


POLICE NEWS


Police are investigating a report of Robbery made by a 53-year-old Security Guard of Old Montrose against an unknown man on 10.02.19.  The V/C reported that the assailant robbed her of one (1) black Samsung Galaxy J2 cellular phone with Digicel Sim Card valued five hundred and fifteen (EC$515.00), and six (6) gold rings, value unknown, at Frenches Gate on 10.02.19. 


Police are investigating two reports of Robbery made by a 20-year-old Chef of Campden Park and a 17-year-old Student of Sion Hill against an armed unknown man on 11.02.19.

The Complainants’ reported that a man armed with a gun robbed them of thirty dollars (EC$30.00) in coins, one (1) black Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cellular phone with Digicel Sim Card and one (1) black purse, at Wilson Hill, Kingstown on 08.02.19.


Police arrested and charged Desron Lavia, 27 years old Bartender of Largo Height with Indecent Assault and Unlawful Sexual Intercourse on 08.02.19.

Lavia allegedly indecently Assaulted and had Unlawful Sexual Intercourse with a 14-year-old student on 07.02.19, she being a girl above the age of 13 years and below the age of 15 years.  The accused man is expected to appear before the Family Court to answer the charges.


Police arrested and charged Diarcop Browne, 45 years old Labourer of Barrouallie with Indecent Assault on 08.02.19.  Browne allegedly committed the act of Indecent Assault on a 14-year-old Student by touching inappropriately about her body with his hands, at Barrouallie on 05.10.18.  The accused man is expected to appear before the Family Court to answer the charges.


Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the discovery of a decomposed body at Fair Hall on 10.02.19.  On 10.02.19 at 12:05 p.m., police responded to a report that a decomposed body was discovered at Fair Hall in the vicinity of Whim Road. The identity of the body is not yet known.  A Post Mortem is expected to be carried out on the body to ascertain the cause of death.


REGIONAL


WESTERN COUNTRIES CONDEM UNACCEPTABLE ACTS OF VIOLENCE IN HAITI


Several Western countries have condemned the “unacceptable acts of violence” in Haiti over the last weekend as opposition parties continue to demand the resignation of President Jovenel Moise from office. 


The Core Group, comprising Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Spain, the European Union, the United States of America, the Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General and the Special Representative of the Organization of American States, said that it had taken note of the demands being expressed by the demonstrators.


“The Core Group deplores the loss of life and property damage caused by the unacceptable acts of violence that took place on the margins of the rallies, while acknowledging the professionalism demonstrated by the Haitian National Police as a whole,” it said in a statement.


The Group said it was calling on all stakeholders in Haiti, including its leaders, “to engage in a constructive and inclusive dialogue in order to identify and implement realistic and lasting solutions to the political and economic crisis currently occurring in Haiti.


“In this regard, the Group encourages the government to accelerate its structural reforms aimed at promoting a better management of the State's resources, improve the living conditions of the most vulnerable, fight inequalities, and foster a conducive investment climate to stimulate the development of productive sectors – essential to catalysing the country's growth.”


Opposition political parties have been staging street demonstrations in support of their calls for President Moise to step down, after accusing him of not investigating allegations of corruption in the previous government over PetroCaribe, an oil alliance of many Caribbean states with Venezuela to purchase oil on conditions of preferential payment. They are also demanding fresh elections and jobs.  But Moise has dismissed the calls for him to resign.